Prior to 1830, there is little more than a record of itinerant preachers who occasionally visited Kemptville and held services in the houses of the few existing scattered members. Early in 1831, the construction of a small frame church was begun.
The first brick church, built on the present site was erected in 1869. On November 10th, 1888, a disastrous fire of incendiary origin started in the basement and destroyed all but the walls and roof of the comparatively new building. The church was rebuilt and reopened on June 24th, 1888 looking on the exterior much as the main portion does today.
The church started as Methodist, but by an Act of Parliament, 1925, three great Canadian churches, Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian entered into Union. On August 7th, 1925, the name "St. John's" was unanimously chosen.